Caring For Your New Pet Rabbit

Courtesy of Pet Rabbit Ridge ...

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Albino Rabbits

Victoria Holden

I have 3 Kits that is all white with red eyes the other 2 kits in this litter are normal colors. I also have another litter that is from the same buck with 5 kits that are also normal colors. Could this Gene be from the Doe or Buck? How often do you get a Albino kit in a litter?

Is there any Special things that needs to be done with these babys & any info about them would help.. all i have found out is white with red or pink eyes are albino & need to be kept out of the sun.. I know who ever buys them will want to know what there needs are and all..

--

~Victoria Holden ~

@--}}---- 

April 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve Collier
Site Owner

Hi Victoria,

Sorry it has taken so long to address your question, but these past few weeks have been very hectic for me to say the least... Working seven days a week, 12 to 16 hours a day most of the time...

There are a few breeds of rabbits that are specifically bred with the Albino characteristics... Many are used in Labs and for food.

When crossbreeding rabbits there are several factors to take into account when it comes to genetics. Dominate traits have a tendency to appear when there is the same genetic code within both parents.

The two parents that produced these Albino Babies may only have a small amount of the gene in each, but combined create a dominate genetic code resulting in the majority of the kits to be born Albino. Some people actually have asked me for these types of rabbits from time to time, but I try to stay away from the Albino Rabbits. I much prefer the Blue Eyed Whites because they are so much easier to sell...

If you prefer not to have Albino Rabbits, I suggest not mixing this pair again, but rather dilute the genetic code with rabbits that have stronger dark-eyed genes by breeding each with different mates. Later on you may try breeding some of their decendents to find you have a dark or blue eyed white instead of pink eyes.

Bright light will effect the eyesight of the Albino Rabbit much as it would a human, causing pain from constantly squinting to avoid the bright light, and possibly causing blindness after a few years.    

--

Steve Collier,  owner of Pet Rabbit Ridge

April 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Victoria Holden

Steve,

Thank you so much for the info.. I have learned so much from you that I cant thank you enough.  I will see how well they sale to see if I will breed them again..

I am sorry as well it took me so long to answer as well I know how it is when you get busy...  I know since you have moved that put extra work on you..

I was shocked to have these only in Speckles & Thumper's litter  even tho I breed Bella with Thumper as well I did not get any white Kits with them. I did lose 3 kits that was also white in Speckles & Thumper's litter, Her litter was mostly white. . 

I had Cotten who was a white with blue eyes but I lost him this winter so I know he did not mate with her even tho he was in the cage with her he was still not of age to mate & he passed way before I mated her with Thumper..

I know that every litter will be different.. I love seeing the different patterns & the fluffy ones...  I want to keep one of the male whites to breed with Bella who is black  since he also has the flufly gene.. My hubby says that  I cant since that would be her step son *G* But I know the Black is a dominate color & it may just pass on the Flufly gene & not the red/ pink eyes...

There is one white kit has eyes that are so odd to me.. its a cross of red & blue mix but looks like she has no pupil at all.. She seams to act like the rest but I wonder if she is blind.. I put up photos of it &the rest of the kits.. Out of 17 kits I have 5 kits left in each litter.. I cant get over the different kits I got.. With Bella this was her first litter & Speckles 2nd...

Thank you again.

--

~Victoria Holden ~

@--}}---- 

May 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.